Warning Message: Possible USB Host Controller Problem Detected
In Windows, the Logic 2 software may generate the following warning message if it detects a possible USB host controller incompatibility.
Possible USB Host Controller Problem Detected! If you do not experience any connectivity issues with your device, you can safely ignore this message. Select "Do not show again" to hide.
Possible USB Host Controller Problem Detected
This message does not indicate the device is not working. Instead, it simply checks your computer against a known list of USB host controller & driver combinations that customers have reported problems with in the past. If you are not experiencing any connectivity issues, you can safely ignore this message.
The two known USB host controller driver combinations with problems (ASMedia host controllers and VIA host controllers) both have known working driver configurations.
- 1.Once you've found your USB 3.0 Host Controller Information, check to see if your Saleae Logic device is in the device manager list.
- 2.Open the Logic 2 software, and check to see if the device connects. If not, check to see if the device has disappeared from device manager.
- 3.Please restart your computer to see if the connection issue persists.
- 4.If the connection issue persists even after your computer is restarted, then a driver update may be required.
- 5.If there is a driver available for your computer, there is a good chance Windows Update will have it. To check, open Windows Update, and click "View optional updates" and expand "Driver Updates."
Windows 10 & Windows 8.1/8 use a new Microsoft-created USB 3.0 driver that supports all USB 3.0 host controllers. This driver works extremely well, and it is the recommended driver for all USB 3.0 host controllers with the exception of the following host controllers
- Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller (Driver Date: Nov 2020)
- We've received reports of some issues with the November version of Intel's USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller. Please check Windows Update if it reports any optional updates available for your USB host controller as shown in the image below.
Checking Optional Updates via Windows Update
- ASMedia USB 3.0 or 3.1 Host Controller
- We recommend downloading the latest version available from your USB card or motherboard vendor
- Note: All ASMedia devices (3.0 or 3.1) use the same driver
For other host controllers, there is no need to perform any kind of driver update when you are on one of these releases of Windows.
USB 3.0 host controller drivers are part of the OS X operating system and are not updated separately. Updates to different parts of the USB stack are frequently included in Apple updates, so it is highly recommended that you keep your OS up to date and running the latest OS X release.
If you are running Windows on Apple hardware, be sure to update the bootcamp software to the latest version. Specifically, make sure you are running bootcamp 5 or newer. If you are running Windows 7, after you have bootcamp 5+ installed, please verify that you can locate the Intel USB 3.0 host controller in the device manager list under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers." If you can not locate that device, there may have been an issue installing the bootcamp drivers. In that case, you can try to manually install the USB 3.0 drivers by downloading the bootcamp zip file from Apple, extracting it, and locating the Intel USB 3.0 driver installer below:
Run that application and reboot your computer to install the Intel USB 3.0 host controller drivers.
On Linux, all USB 3.0 host controllers use the xhci_hcd kernel module, which cannot be updated separately from the Linux kernel. In general, we recommend using kernel 3.4 or later (Ubuntu 14.04.1 or newer). Although the products do work on older kernels, we do not officially support those use cases.
If you have trouble with the devices connecting or capturing on Linux, please be sure to contact support and include information about your kernel version and installed host controllers. Specifically, please provide the output of:
lsusbmust be run when the Saleae Logic device is connected.
In our older Logic 1.x software, you can identify which USB 3.0 host controller(s) is installed on your system. Most machines will have a single USB 3.0 host controller and two USB 2.0 host controllers. To find the installed host controller(s), please follow the instructions below.
Most common problems with Logic Pro 8 and Logic Pro 16 on Windows 7 can be solved by simply updating the USB 3.0 host controller drivers manually.
These driver links should only be used if you are using Windows 7. Not all drivers are available directly from the host controller vendor and are instead distributed by the PCI express card or motherboard vendor that integrated that host controller. In most cases, it is just fine to use a driver download from a different website than the one that sold you the card, as long as it uses the same host controller. It is also okay to download the driver directly from the company where you purchased the card. In that case, please verify that the driver version is the same or newer than the one mentioned below. We recommend that you use drivers available directly from the host controller manufacturer.
- Host: Intel 7 series Source: Direct (Intel) Version: 188.8.131.52 Link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/21129/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Intel-7-Series-C216-Chipset-Family
- Host: Intel 8, 9, 100 series Source: Direct (Intel) Version: 184.108.40.206 Link: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22824/USB-3-0-Driver-Intel-USB-3-0-eXtensible-Host-Controller-Driver-for-Intel-8-9-100-Series-and-C220-C610-Chipset-Family
- Host: ASMedia 3.0 or 3.1 Source: From card or motherboard vendor Version: 220.127.116.11 Link: https://www.asus.com/Motherboard-Accessories/USB_31_TYPEA_CARD/HelpDesk_Download/ Note: All ASMedia devices (3.0 and 3.1) use the same driver
- Host: ETRON Source: Direct (Etron) Version: 18.104.22.168 Link: http://www.etron.com/en/products/u3hc_detial.php?Product_ID=6 Note: Click link in navigation for "Driver Download." Used for all models/revisions
- Host: VIA Source: Direct (Via) Version: 4.90 A (6.1.7600.4903) Link: http://www.via-labs.com/driver.php Note: WHQL Driver for VL800/801 & 805/806 USB 3.0 Host Controller. Compatible with Windows XP/Vista/7/8 32-bit and 64-bit.