When attempting to capture data, you may encounter the following error message: "We're sorry, but the device was not able to keep up with this sample rate. If you continue to see this message, please contact Saleae technical support."
The Saleae Logic produces data at a fixed rate and can't tolerate periodic delays between read requests because the device side buffer space is limited. This error message shows up when the device side buffer has run out of memory caused by delays on the USB line during data capture. The Original Logic is the most sensitive to this issue. The newer products (Logic 4, Logic 8, Logic Pro 8, and Logic Pro 16) have significantly larger device side stream buffers and should have no problem with this.
- Make sure you are using the latest Saleae software: https://www.saleae.com/downloads
- Make sure that there are no other high-bandwidth USB devices attached to the PC during the capture
- Try removing any USB hubs between Logic and the host PC
- Try using the device on other USB ports. If you're using one of the USB 2.0 products, try all the ports on the PC, as that will test with all host controllers.
- Try reconnecting Logic to the PC
- Test the device on another PC to help rule out a hardware problem.
- If using the newer Logic products, disable all analog channels, enable a single digital channel, and note the maximum digital sampling rate that can capture data consistently without the error. Capturing analog data at any sampling rate maximizes the bandwidth usage capability of Logic, so we want to disable analog to effectively lower Logic's USB bandwidth usage.
- If on USB 2.0, try moving all attached devices to one host controller, so Logic has it's own host controller. Try both host controllers, as one may perform better than the other. Instructions to test this are here: How to move Logic to it's own host controller
Contacting support for additional help
If the error persists after trying the troubleshooting steps, please contact support and include the following information:
- Detailed results of all the troubleshooting steps
- Which Logic device you are using
- What OS you are using, the version of that OS, and if it is 32 bit or 64 bit.
- The host controller(s) installed in your system, including the driver version. See this article for instructions on how to find it: How can I find out what USB 3.0 host controller(s) are installed in my machine, and their driver version(s)?
- Screenshots, or a detailed description of the error message(s) you're seeing in the software.
- Description of how often the failure is occurring, and if there is any pattern to the issue.
Considerations for the Original Logic and Logic16
- On some computers, the Original Logic might not be able to consistently capture at its maximum sample rate of 24 MSPS or even at 16 MSPS. However, on most computers, the device should be able to reliably capture at 12 MSPS. This is due to its small device side buffer.
If, even after trying the above recommendations, your Original Logic can't record consistently faster than 12 MSPS, you may want to consider one of the following options:
- Add a new host controller to your PC. Either a PCI express card or a laptop ExpressCard.
- Upgrade to a newer Saleae product, which have larger device side buffers.
If the error occurs immediately after clicking 'Start'
This indicates a potentially different issue and could be caused by one of the following:
The USB cable could be bad. Please try another USB cable, or contact support for a replacement.
On Windows, the USB host controller driver may be out-dated. Please contact support and we can help ensure you have the absolute latest drivers for your device.
On OS X, there is a known bug in the Saleae firmware that almost exclusively affects OS X users over USB 3.0, which will cause frequent capture failures. This issue seems to be specific to certain versions of Apple's IOUSBFamily, which changes frequently with OS X updates.
On OS X, the error may occur when sampling while a thunderbolt display is connected. Connecting Logic to a USB port on the thunderbolt display has solved the problem in the past.
In any case, we're very sorry for the trouble. Please know that we're actively working on making the software capture system more reliable.
trello ID: 55f0e75a10f9f592573a8232