When choosing a logic analyzer to purchase, there are a number of capabilities and specifications to keep in mind.
You can find datasheets for the Saleae logic analyzers here: PDF Users Guide, Specifications, and Data Sheets, and you can find a technical comparison between the Saleae products here: https://www.saleae.com/#DatasheetTile.
We encourage you to look online for more information and to compare the Saleae products against other available logic analyzers.
Below is a list of features to consider and compare when choosing a device. Details of each area can be found in the product data sheets, in the technical specifications on the Saleae home page, or in the users guide.
- Sample Rate and Bandwidth This is one of the limiting technical specifications of a logic analyzer. If your application operates at a data rate faster than the logic analyzer's bandwidth, then you will not be able to record the signal.
- Sample Buffer Depth / Recording Length Longer sample buffers allow you to see context around the event you're looking for. Extremely long sample buffers, in seconds, minutes, or even hours, lets you simply capture all activity at once, without the need for complex triggering or modifications to your own design.
- Analog Support The new Saleae products have low bandwidth analog data recording capability, which is ideal for recording low bandwidth analog signals over long periods of time, such as sensor outputs, battery voltages, and audio.
- Supported IO Voltages, Differential and RS-232/485 Support Make sure the logic analyzer supports the electrical specifications of your signal! All Saleae devices support 2.5V - 5V logic and RS-232/485 signals, but only some support 1.2 and 1.8 volt logic, and CAN.
- Software Features We're extremely proud of our software. Please download it and test it out! It operates in a full featured demo mode when no device is attached.
- Protocol Analyzers Our software ships with 20+ analyzers, and includes an SDK for writing your own. The complete list can be found in the datasheets.
- Output Capability Saleae devices are record-only, and do not support output mode. If this is an important feature for you, please take a close look at other logic analyzers on the market.
- Bus Adapters vs Logic Analyzers The Saleae Logic software includes a number of protocol decoders, but if you're looking to exclusively do high level protocol analysis on one or two protocols, or if you're looking for a bus adapter that you can program from the PC, a Saleae device may not be the best option, since they do not support output mode.
- Reviews You can find reviews for our products on Amazon.com and Sparkfun.com, and you can find many full product reviews on blogs all over the internet. Just search for Saleae reviews.
- Warranty & Return Policy Saleae has a 3 year warranty which covers accidental damage. We also have a 180 day return policy. In both cases, we provide shipping both ways. We work especially hard to make sure the process is painless even for international customers
- Quality of Support We have live chat on our website (when we're not sleeping), and try to respond to all support emails within one business day.
trello ID: 560055f6db7ef5da55722f6f