This article addresses a specific issue that affects a small number of Windows users. Specifically, the software will crash on launch, generating a "APPCRASH" error message. On launch, a Windows error report window will appear with the heading "Saleae Logic Software has stopped working". This window has an option to expand problem details, there the "Problem Event Name" will be set to "APPCRASH" and the "Exception Code" will likely be c0000005.
Before continuing, if you haven't already, please review our more general software crash articles.
If none of the above articles solve this issue, then the problem is most likely caused by a compatibility issue with another installed program, possibly one of the following:
- Anti-virus software
- Disk encryption software
- Debugging tools
- Custom IT policy settings that affect or attach to running programs
- Any application that attaches or modifies other running programs.
Specifically, our software will crash on launch with APPCRASH if a debugger is attached, if the binary has been modified since it's original compilation, or if it's memory image is modified by another process after starting to launch.
This affects all releases of our software after and including version 1.1.21. Releases up to and including 1.1.20 are not affected.
Version 1.1.20 is very old, and does not support the current hardware products (Logic 4, Logic 8, Logic Pro 8 and Logic Pro 16). Older versions of our software can be downloaded here:
Steps to verify that a compatability issue is preventing the software to launch:
- Download and run the 1.1.20 standalone version of the software from the above download link, and test it. Check to see if the program runs or crashes on launch. (Note, if it runs, it will not detect any of the current Saleae products as connected)
- Download and run the 1.1.34 standalone version of the software from the above download link, and test it. Check if it runs or not. This version does support the current products.
If the 1.1.20 software runs but the 1.1.34 software does not, this indicates that the problem is caused by some sort of application incompatibility.
Steps to fix the problem
- Try disabling anti-virus programs, and then re-launch the software.
- If you are using disk encryption software, see if there is a way to exclude the Saleae Logic software folder from encryption. (Note, Microsoft's integrated disk encryption is not likely to cause this problem, only 3rd party tools have been seen to cause issues)
- Check for any running debuggers (visual studio, etc) and close them. Try again.
- Try running the software as administrator.
- Download the "Windows 32 bit standalone" version of the latest software here, and test that. Before running Logic.exe, you will need to install the included Microsoft visual studio runtime.
Contacting support for additional help
If none of the above steps are able to resolve the issue, please contact support, and include the following information:
- The version of Windows you are using (XP/Vista/7/8/10) and if it is 32 bit or 64 bit.
- If this is a personal computer, or a work computer managed by an IT department.
- List any anti-virus or disk encryption products installed on the computer.
- List any debugging software installed.
- What version(s) of the Saleae Logic software you have tested. Please test the following. The latest Saleae Logic software The 32 bit standalone version of the latest Saleae Logic software. The standalone version of the 1.1.34 software The standalone version of the 1.1.20 software
- Any other information, such as. Did the software work before, and recently stop working?
trello ID: 58efe6904847cc601b0c08d0